This was something I made one Sunday evening to use the leftover produce from the weekend. My husband liked it so much, I make it all the time now. Leftover French or Italian bread works great with the mushroom juices. This can be reduced to serve less people. Also it's great to add in whatever kinds of extra veggies you have in the house."
- Original recipe yield: 4 servings.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 (16 ounce) package extra-firm tofu, diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons Chinese five-spice powder
- 1½ pounds mushrooms
- 4 slices bread, torn into bite size pieces
- 6 ounces shredded Cheddar cheese