Makes 6 servings.
- 2 cups water
- 2½ cups chicken broth
- ¼ cup olive oil, divided
- ¼ pound lean Italian sweet sausage, crumbled
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup uncooked U.S. arborio or medium-grain rice
- 1 cup dry white wine
- ¼ cup drained and chopped oil-packed, sun-dried tomatoes
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Heat water and broth in 2-quart saucepan over medium heat until it comes to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and keep warm.
- Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in large saucepan over medium heat; add sausage and cook until browned. Drain on paper towels; set aside.
- Heat remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat; add shallot and garlic and cook until soft.
- Add rice and stir 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add wine; stir until absorbed.
- Increase heat to medium-high; stir in 1 cup water-broth mixture. Cook uncovered, stirring frequently, until liquid is absorbed.
- Continue stirring and adding remaining water-broth mixture, 1 cup at a time, allowing each cup to be absorbed before adding another. Cook until rice is tender and mixture has a creamy consistency, approximately 25 to 30 minutes.
- Stir in sausage, sun-dried tomatoes, cream, cheese and parsley.
- Stir until mixture is creamy, about 2 to 3 minutes. Serve immediately.