Nothing completes a barbecue or picnic like a classic potato salad. The following Summertime Sweet Potato Salad from the Taste of Summer Cookbook is a delicious South Beach Diet-approved spin on an old favorite.
Yogurt and red wine vinegar make a smooth and tasty dressing for this easy picnic dish. Tarragon can be added or used as a substitute for basil. Since sweet potatoes are available year-round, try serving this dish warm in cooler months; simply drain the potatoes and don't rinse them before adding the dressing.
- Contributed by Healthy Recipes For Diabetic Friends Y-Group
- Source: All New South Beach Diet Cookbook
- Prep Time: 10 minutes | Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Makes 4 (generous ¾-cup) servings
- 2 medium sweet potatoes (1½ lb), peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- ⅓ cup nonfat or low-fat plain yogurt
- 1 small red bell pepper, diced
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 3 Tbsp chopped fresh basil
- 1 tsp red wine vinegar
- ¼ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Place sweet potatoes in a medium saucepan and add cold water to cover.
- Bring to a boil and cook until tender, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Drain, run under cold water to cool, and drain again.
- In a large bowl, combine sweet potatoes, yogurt, bell pepper, scallions, basil, vinegar, salt, and black pepper.
- Serve at room temperature or chilled.
Nutritional information Edit
Per ¾-cup serving :
- 120 Calories | 0g Fat | 0g Saturated Fat | 4g Protein | 27g Carbs | 4g Fiber | 210mg Sodium