I obtained this recipe from an estate sale when I purchased the family collection from the Sullivan Estate in Dallas, Texas in 1988.
- Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- 1 pound sirloin
- 1 celery stalk
- 1 carrot
- 3 hot chili peppers
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger minced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon cooking wine
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons ginger juice
- 1 egg white lightly beaten
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ cup flour
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon hot chili oil
- 1 tablespoon wine
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 4 tablespoons honey
- ½ teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 5 cups oil for deep-frying
- 1 tbsp oil for stir-frying
- Cut beef into matchstick strips cutting along the grain.
- Peel and grate ginger then squeeze out juice.
- Mix four marinade ingredients.
- Add to beef and marinate 30 minutes.
- Cut carrots, celery and pepper into thin strips.
- Mince garlic.
- For ginger use the leftover minced ginger from the preparation of ginger juice.
- Mix sauce ingredients and set aside.
- Beat egg white and add water then add flour and cornstarch.
- Mix batter thoroughly and drop into marinated meat.
- Heat wok.
- When heated add 5 cups oil.
- When oil is ready add about ¼ of the meat batter mixture.
- Deep fry beef until golden brown.
- Remove and set aside.
- Let oil come back to original temperature and add more meat.
- When meat is cooked clean the wok.
- Heat and add 1 tablespoon oil.
- When oil is ready add vegetables and begin stir frying.
- Pour in the sauce and let come to a boil.
- Add the deep fried beef then toss quickly and remove.
- Sprinkle with sesame oil and serve hot.