Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Another great finalist from the 2005 National Beef Cookoff.
- Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- Source : The Beef Bytes Mailer
- Servings: Serves 4 – 6
- 1½ lbs lean ground beef
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- ½ cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 12 small balls fresh mozzarella cheese (about ⅓ oz each)
- 1 jar (25 – 26 oz) spicy red pepper pasta sauce or other pasta sauce
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh oregano 
- hot cooked spaghetti rigati or linguine
- fresh oregano sprigs (optional)
- Heat oven to 400°F.
- Combine ground beef, eggs, bread crumbs, garlic, 1 tablespoon chopped oregano, salt and pepper in large bowl, mixing lightly but thoroughly.
- Divide mixture into 12 equal portions.
- Lightly shape into patties.
- Place 1 mozzarella ball in center of each patty.
- Shape beef around cheese until completely enclosed inside forming meatballs.
- Place meatballs on aluminum-foil-lined 15 x 10-inch baking pan.
- Bake in 400°F oven 15 to 20 minutes to medium (160°F) doneness, until not pink in center and juices show no pink color.
- Meanwhile heat pasta sauce in large saucepan until hot, stirring occasionally.
- Add meatballs and cook until heated through, about 5 minutes.
- Spoon meatballs and sauce onto pasta.
- Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon chopped oregano.
- Garnish with oregano sprigs, if desired.
- ↑ Dried oregano leaves may be substituted for fresh. Use 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves in meatball mixture. Add 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves to pasta sauce before heating.