- 4 whole pigeons, cleaned
- chopped pigeon livers
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup Greek Kefalotiri, in small chunks
- 1/2 cup rice
- 1/4 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup Raisins
- 1 small Onion, chopped
- salt & pepper
- 2 lemons
- Par boil the rice in salt water for 10 minutes and drain.
- In a skillet, heat the butter and fry the onions with the livers.
- Add the rice, salt & pepper, walnuts, Raisins, and Cheese.
- Toss it all together, mixing well.
- Remove the stuffing from the heat and set it aside.
- Take your pigeons and salt & pepper them and squeeze lemon juice on them - inside and out.
- Stuff the pigeons with the rice mixture and sew the cavity closed.
- Arrange them in a pan and drizzle them with olive oil.
- Pour 1 cup of chicken broth into the pan then cover it and bake for 1 hour or until done.
- Remove the foil for the final 10 minutes so they brown.