Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Fruit & Vegetable of the Month: Eggplant by the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, public domain government resource—original source of recipe
- Serves: 4
- 1½ cups breadcrumbs
- 2 eggplants
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- ½ cup green bell pepper, diced
- ½ cup onion, diced
- ⅓ cup celery, diced
- ⅛ tbsp salt
- ¼ tbsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, minced
- 2 tbsp parmesan cheese
- Vegetable cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350 °F.
- Cut eggplants in half lengthwise. Scoop out and save the flesh, leaving the shells ⅜-inch thick. If necessary, trim a small piece off the bottom of each shell so it won't tip over. Set aside.
- Coat large skillet with vegetable cooking spray.
- Chop up reserved eggplant and add to skillet.
- Add tomato, bell pepper, onion, celery, salt, and black pepper. Place skillet over medium heat; cover and cook about 5 minutes, until vegetables are tender.
- Remove skillet from heat. Stir in bread crumbs and parsley.
- Spoon mixture into the hollow eggplant shells.
- Arrange stuffed shells in a shallow baking dish coated with vegetable spray.
- Sprinkle 1½ tsps Parmesan on top of each shell.
- Bake for 25 minutes, until filling heats through and top is golden brown.