Makes 8 servings.
- 8 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (about 3 pounds)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ cup butter or margarine, softened
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- ½ teaspoon ground oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- 4 ounces Swiss cheese, cut into 8 strips
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- ⅔ cup dry breadcrumbs
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- ½ cup red pepper strips
- ½ cup green pepper strips
- 4 cups cooked rice
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- fresh oregano and rosemary sprigs for garnish
- Place chicken between plastic wrap; pound with meat mallet or rolling pin to ¼-inch thickness. Sprinkle chicken with salt and black pepper.
- Combine butter, parsley, oregano, rosemary and basil in small bowl.
- Place 1½ teaspoons herb butter on centers of breast halves, reserving remaining herb butter.
- Place one Cheese strip in center of each breast half. Roll up chicken with Cheese inside; tuck in ends.
- Roll in flour, then dip in egg. Coat with breadcrumbs.
- Place in ungreased 13x9-inch baking dish; bake at 375 °F for 15 minutes.
- Stir wine into remaining herb butter in small saucepan; heat over low heat until butter melts. Pour over chicken; bake 20 minutes more.
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat until hot. Add red and green bell peppers; cook and stir until crisp-tender.
- Add rice; toss lightly. Heat thoroughly. Serve chicken over rice.
- Pour pan drippings into small saucepan. Dissolve cornstarch in water.
- Add to drippings; heat until mixture boils and thickens, stirring constantly. Serve with chicken and rice. Garnish with oregano and rosemary .