Makes 4 servings.
- 1 large head cabbage
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspooon ground cinnamon
- 1 x 8-ounce can tomato sauce, divided
- 1½ cups cooked rice (cooked in chicken broth)
- Wash and clean cabbage. Immerse in salted boiling water; parboil 5 to 7 minutes. Remove outer 8 leaves as they become pliable. Drain and set aside.
- Cook onion and garlic in butter and oil in large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add pepper, oregano, cumin, cinnamon and ¼ cup tomato sauce; cook, stirring, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Stir in rice; remove from heat.
- Spoon ¼ cup rice mixture onto center of each cabbage leaf. Tuck in sides and roll tightly into cylinders.
- Place rolls in greased baking dish. Pour remaining ¾ cup tomato sauce on top. Cover dish with foil
- Bake covered, at 350 °F for 20 to 25 minutes.