- 2 heads pickled cabbage
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb smoked ham, chopped
- ¼ cup smoked bacon, chopped
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 lb smoked ham hocks or pork ribs
- salt and pepper to taste
- Fry bacon in its own fat.
- Add onion and saute five minutes.
- Remove from heat and drain excess fat.
- Allow to cool slightly, combine with ground beef, chopped ham, rice, egg, 1 teaspoon paprika, salt and pepper, remove large outer leaves of the cabbage, place filling in each leaf and roll up from center to outer edge.
- Tuck sides into center to hold roll together.
- Cut remaining cabbage into strips.
- Add another half pound of sauerkraut, if desired.
- Place half the sauerkraut in the bottom of a large pot.
- Arrange cabbage rolls over sauerkraut.
- Add smoked ribs or ham hocks.
- Cover with remaining sauerkraut.
- Heat oil and brown flour in it.
- Add a teaspoon of paprika and water to make a thick roux.
- Cook for 5 minutes.
- Pour roux over cabbage rolls.
- Add water to cover cabbage and simmer over low heat for ½ to 2 hours until rice is fully cooked.
- Do not stir cabbage rolls while cooking.
- Instead, shake pot occasionally to prevent sticking.
- Transfer to warm serving dish.