Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Tangy sun-dried tomatoes add flair to a stuffing flavored with garlic, celery, onion, oregano, parsley and thyme. Try using sprouted spelt bread in this delicious stuffing that pairs perfectly with the distinctive flavor of artichoke.
- Contributed by Healthy Recipes for Diabetic Friends Y-Group
- Original recipe
- Serves 8 as a side or 15 as an appetizer
- 2 fresh artichokes
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 5 sun-dried tomatoes packed in olive oil
- 4 cups cubed spelt or other whole grain bread (cut into ½ inch cubes)
- ½ cup vegetable broth
- sea salt, to taste
- ground pepper, to taste
- Rinse artichokes, cut off bottom stem, and, if desired, snip sharp edges off leaves.
- Place standing up and cover about 2 to 3 inches of the bottom with water.
- Bring water to a boil then reduce to simmer.
- Cover and cook artichokes until leaves are tender, about 45 minutes.
- While artichokes cook, prepare stuffing.
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large skillet.
- Sauté the garlic, celery, onion, oregano, parsley, thyme and sun-dried tomatoes for 15 minutes.
- Add the cubed bread and toss very well to coat.
- Add vegetable broth and salt and pepper to taste.
- Stuffing should be moist but not mushy.
- Add a little more broth if needed.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Carefully spoon a little stuffing onto the leaves of the artichokes.
- Place upright in a baking dish.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until piping hot.
- Serve with a spoon to scoop on any stuffing that falls as you pull out the leaves.
Nutritional information Edit
Per serving (Serves 8 as a side / 103g-wt.):
- 110 calories (45 from fat) | 5g total fat | 0.5g saturated fat | 4g protein | 16g total carbohydrate (4g dietary fiber, 6g sugar) | 0mg cholesterol | 330mg sodium
Per serving (15 servings as an appetizer / 55g-wt.):
- 60 calories (25 from fat) | 2.5g total fat | 0g saturated fat | 2g protein | 9g total carbohydrate (2g dietary fiber, 3g sugar) | 0mg cholesterol | 180mg sodium