Tangy sun-dried tomatoes add flair to a stuffing flavored with garlic, celery, onion, oregano, parsley and thyme. Try using sprouted spelt bread in this delicious stuffing that pairs perfectly with the distinctive flavor of artichoke.
- Contributed by Healthy Recipes for Diabetic Friends Y-Group
- Original recipe
- Serves 8 as a side or 15 as an appetizer
- 2 fresh artichokes
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 5 sun-dried tomatoes packed in olive oil
- 4 cups cubed spelt or other whole grain bread (cut into ½ inch cubes)
- ½ cup vegetable broth
- sea salt, to taste
- ground pepper, to taste
- Rinse artichokes, cut off bottom stem, and, if desired, snip sharp edges off leaves.
- Place standing up and cover about 2 to 3 inches of the bottom with water.
- Bring water to a boil then reduce to simmer.
- Cover and cook artichokes until leaves are tender, about 45 minutes.
- While artichokes cook, prepare stuffing.
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large skillet.
- Sauté the garlic, celery, onion, oregano, parsley, thyme and sun-dried tomatoes for 15 minutes.
- Add the cubed bread and toss very well to coat.
- Add vegetable broth and salt and pepper to taste.
- Stuffing should be moist but not mushy.
- Add a little more broth if needed.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Carefully spoon a little stuffing onto the leaves of the artichokes.
- Place upright in a baking dish.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until piping hot.
- Serve with a spoon to scoop on any stuffing that falls as you pull out the leaves.
Nutritional information Edit
Per serving (Serves 8 as a side / 103g-wt.):
- 110 calories (45 from fat) | 5g total fat | 0.5g saturated fat | 4g protein | 16g total carbohydrate (4g dietary fiber, 6g sugar) | 0mg cholesterol | 330mg sodium
Per serving (15 servings as an appetizer / 55g-wt.):
- 60 calories (25 from fat) | 2.5g total fat | 0g saturated fat | 2g protein | 9g total carbohydrate (2g dietary fiber, 3g sugar) | 0mg cholesterol | 180mg sodium