Poppy Seed CakeEdit
- ½ oz yeast (dry), active (two standard envelopes)
- ½ cup water, warm
- 4½ cup flour ( all-purpose)
- ¾ cup sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup butter
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks (save whites for the filling)
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 tbsp butter
- 10 oz poppy seeds, coarsely ground
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 2 egg whites
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup candied orange peel, chopped fine
- ¼ cup raisins, steamed (steamed, or soaked in hot water, until soft)
- Soften the yeast in warm water in a bowl.
- Mix flour with sugar and salt. Cut in the butter until mixture has a fine, even crumb.
- Beat eggs and extra yolks; mix with yeast, then stir into the flour mixture.
- Add the sour cream and the vanilla and mix well. Knead dough on floured surface for 5 minutes.
- Divide in half and roll each half into a 12 inch square. Cover.
- Melt butter in a large pan.
- Add poppy seed and stir-fry for 3 minutes.
- Add honey, lemon juice and Raisins to poppy seeds. Cover and remove from heat.
- Let stand for 10 minutes. Beat egg whites with sugar until stiff moist peaks form.
- Fold in orange and lemon peels and then gently fold in poppy seed mixture.
- Spread half of the filling on each dough square (after you uncover them).
- Roll up as you would for a jelly-roll and seal the edges.
- Place on greased baking sheets and cover. Let rise until doubled in bulk (approx. 1½ hours).