Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Poppy Seed CakeEdit
- ½ oz yeast (dry), active (two standard envelopes)
- ½ cup water, warm
- 4½ cup flour ( all-purpose)
- ¾ cup sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup butter
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks (save whites for the filling)
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 tbsp butter
- 10 oz poppy seeds, coarsely ground
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 2 egg whites
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup candied orange peel, chopped fine
- ¼ cup raisins, steamed (steamed, or soaked in hot water, until soft)
- Soften the yeast in warm water in a bowl.
- Mix flour with sugar and salt. Cut in the butter until mixture has a fine, even crumb.
- Beat eggs and extra yolks; mix with yeast, then stir into the flour mixture.
- Add the sour cream and the vanilla and mix well. Knead dough on floured surface for 5 minutes.
- Divide in half and roll each half into a 12 inch square. Cover.
- Melt butter in a large pan.
- Add poppy seed and stir-fry for 3 minutes.
- Add honey, lemon juice and Raisins to poppy seeds. Cover and remove from heat.
- Let stand for 10 minutes. Beat egg whites with sugar until stiff moist peaks form.
- Fold in orange and lemon peels and then gently fold in poppy seed mixture.
- Spread half of the filling on each dough square (after you uncover them).
- Roll up as you would for a jelly-roll and seal the edges.
- Place on greased baking sheets and cover. Let rise until doubled in bulk (approx. 1½ hours).