- 4 cups mashed potatoes, warm and plain
- 3 garlic cloves, mashed or garlic, pressed
- 1/2 cup scallions, cut lengthwise and sliced thinly
- 1/2 cup fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped finely
- 1-2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- flour, for dusting
- oil, for shallow frying
- Mix all but flour and oil together in a large bowl.
- Form 16 patties using 1/4 cup of the mix to about 1/3 inch thick. Use floured hands if necessary.
- Coat each patty with the flour, hitting to knock off any excess of flour.
- Shallow fry in vegetable oil on medium to medium high heat until deep golden brown.
- If you need to, you can refridgerate the floured patties to cook off an hour or so later or for ease in handling if you have difficulty. I have not found the need to do either.
- These are a simple cake and not meant to be fancy; just really tasty. You can also replace the scallions with onions if you have no scallions. In Morocco and The Maghreb, we use what we have and don't worry about what we don't have. Fresh garlic is the best alternative you can use though as we don't have dried powdered here.