- 4 cup onions, chopped
- 4½-inch-thick crusty whole wheat bread slices
- 3 cup leeks, (white and green parts only)
- 1 garlic cloves, peel, halved
- 2 tbsp grated low-fat Swiss or Gruyère cheese
- 1 bunch green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 cup dry white wine
- 4 cup beef stock or canned unsalted broth
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley
- Combine first 3 ingredients in large nonstick saucepan.
- Cover and cook over medium-low heat until vegetables are tender and pale golden, stirring frequently, about 25 minutes.
- Add wine, increase heat to high and boil uncovered until liquid is reduced by half, about 5 minutes.
- Add beef stock and reduce heat to medium and simmer until vegetables are very tender and liquid is slightly reduced, about 35 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 °F.
- Arrange bread slices on cookie sheet.
- Rub each slice with cut side of garlic clove.
- Bake bread until lightly toasted, about 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle each slice with ½ tablespoon cheese; return to oven and bake until cheese melts, about 3 minutes.
- Place bread slices in 4 bowls.
- Ladle soup over.
- Sprinkle with parsley.
Nutritional information Edit
Per serving: calories 220; fat 2g; sodium 190 mg; cholesterol 3 mg