- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup butter, cold and cut into chunks
- 7/8 cup milk
- Fresh Strawberries
- Mix and sift together dry ingredients.
- Work in the shortening with fingertips or a pastry cutter as you would make a pie crust or biscuits.
- Work quickly and keep everything cold.
- Add liquid gradually and blend only enough to make a soft dough.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured board. Roll lightly to 1/2" thickness.
- Cut into 3-inch squares or with a round 2 1/2" cookie cutter, or cut into six to seven inch circles for large shortcakes.
- Bake in a preheated 450 °F oven until shortcakes are crisp and very light in color, and this will depend on what size the shortcake has been cut; the smallest can be cooked in as little as 10 minutes (possibly fewer), and the largest requiring 15 to 20 minutes, depending on your oven.
- Keep a sharp eye out and watch constantly to avoid scorching.
- When done, remove from oven and allow to cool on wire racks, then split into halves as soon as possible.
- Serve with a creme filling of whipped cream or pastry cream and top with fresh strawberries, strawberry sauce, and chocolate shavings.
- Sprinkle with confectioners Sugar and garnish with a sprig of fresh mint.