- Makes 8 servings
- 1 cup toasted macadamia nuts
- 1 pint Michigan strawberries, washed and drained
- ⅓ cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 large head bibb lettuce, washed and dried
- 4 large Belgian endive, washed and dried
- Split the macadamia nuts in half and set aside.
- Stem strawberries and slice about ¼ inch thick.
- Using a food processor, purée ⅔ cup of the sliced strawberries with the vinegar.
- Add the oil and process for 30 to 40 seconds until the dressing is well combined.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- If the berries are not sweet, add a teaspoon or two of sugar.
- Put 2 leaves of bibb lettuce on each of 8 chilled plates.
- Arrange 7 leaves of endive on top, like spokes in a wheel.
- Fan out 8 slices of strawberries in the center.
- If assembling ahead, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate plates.
- Just before serving, spoon 3 to 4 tablespoons dressing over the strawberries and top with the toasted nuts.
- The dressing can be made ahead, covered and refrigerated for up to 2 days.