These cookies are absolutely beautiful. You can actually use whatever kind of preserves you wish, but make sure that they are PRESERVES :-) You will love the look of these beautiful cookies! Prep time doesnt include chill time. Cook time is for one batch.
- 3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (0.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm milk (110 degrees F)
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup strawberry preserves
- 1 large egg, well beaten
- First, Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, butter, Sugar and salt.
- With your hand mixer, beat the flour, butter, Sugar and salt until it looks like coarse crumbs.
- Dissolve yeast in your 1/2 cup warm milk in a small bowl.
- Stir in 1 egg and vanilla.
- Add milk mixture to flour mixture, and then beat at low speed until mixed thoroughly.
- Divide dough in half (you will have two chunks of dough), cover with wax paper, and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Remove from refrigerator and roll dough out on a lightly floured surface, one half at a time, to 1/8 to 1/4-inch thickness.
- Cut dough into 3-inch squares, and then top each with 1 teaspoon of your strawberry preserves.
- Bring up 2 opposite corners of each square to center and then pinch tightly to seal.
- Place the finished cookie onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper placing them around 2 inches apart.
- Brush each cookie lightly with the beaten egg.
- Bake for 10 to 14 minutes until golden brown.
- Cool completely.
- Combine powdered sugar, almond extract and enough milk for desired glazing consistency in small bowl (approximately 2 1/2 teaspoons).
- Drizzle this glaze lightly over cooled cookies.
- ENJOY THESE BEAUTIFUL COOKIES!