A real version of a fictional recipe from Nickelodeon's Fanboy and Chum Chum.
2/3 cup golden caster sugar
1 cup all purpose flour
3 large eggs, room temperature
1 tbs lukewarm water
1/2 cup strawberry jam
50 g Strawberry Instant Pudding
200 ml cold full cream milk
1/2 cup dessicated coconut
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Lightly brush the base of a 13" x 9" (33cm x 23cm) Swiss roll tin with vegetable oil.
2. Line the base of the tin with greaseproof paper. Brush paper with a little more oil, then dust with sugar and flour.
3. Put the sugar and eggs into a large bowl and whisk with an electric hand whisk for 10 minutes.
4. It should be pale and thick enough for the mixture to leave a trail when the whisk is lifted.
5. Sift half the flour into the mixture and fold in very carefully until no traces of flour are left.
6. Repeat with the remaining flour. It is important to do it gently. Fold in 1 tbs lukewarm water.
7. Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and use a spatula to smooth it evenly into the corners.
8. Bake for 10-12 min or until firm to the touch.
9. Meanwhile, put the jam in a bowl and stir well to loosen. Lay out a damp clean cloth on the work surface.
10. Lay a piece of greaseproof paper that is larger than the sponge on top. Dust the greaseproof paper with caster sugar.
11.Run a knife around the edge of the warm sponge cake and turn out on to the sugar-dusted paper.
12. Peel the paper off the base of the cake. Trim off the edges of the cake. Spoon jam onto the cake and spread out.
13. Leave a little border of clean sponge cake all around. Make an incision about 1cm in from the short edge near you.
14. Be careful not to cut through; this makes it easier to roll up. Start rolling, using the incision to help you make the first turn.
15. Use the paper to help you roll it tightly. Sit it seam side down until it cools down to room temperature.
16. While you wait for it to cool prepare the strawberry pudding by mixing with cold milk. Leave to set.
17. Brush pudding in thin layers over roll and dust generously with dessicated coconut so it is evenly coated.
18. Cut the roll into pieces with a serrated knife and serve on the same day. Serves 8-10...enough for Fanboy, Chum Chum, and all their friends!