Yield: 8 to 10 servings.
- 2 packages (1 pound each) frozen whole California strawberries
- ⅔ cup sugar
- ¼ cup orange-flavored liqueur
- 1 quart vanilla ice cream, softened
- whipped cream
- garnish: whole frozen strawberries (optional)
- Thaw slightly 6 cup (about 1½ packages) berries, slice.
- In blender whirl sliced berries, sugar and orange liqueur at high speed until smooth.
- Pour into shallow pan; freeze until almost firm.
- Spoon into 2-quart mold, spreading evenly over bottom and up sides to line mold.
- Return to freezer.
- Meanwhile, thaw slightly remaining 2 cups berries; slice in half.
- Fold halved berries into softened vanilla ice cream; pack into center of mold.
- Cover and freeze until firm.
- Unmold and pipe whipped cream in lattice pattern over bombe.
- Remove from freezer about 15 minutes before serving time and garnish with whole frozen strawberries, if desired.
- Slice and serve.