Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- Makes about 2 cups sauce
- 1½ cups sugar
- ½ cup water
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 black peppercorns, cracked
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 bottle (750 milliliters) Beaujolais wine
- 2 pint baskets California strawberries, stemmed and sliced
- To make caramel: in heavy 2- to 3-quart stainless steel saucepan mix all ingredients except wine and strawberries.
- Place over medium-high heat and stir until sugar dissolves.
- Then cook without stirring until mixture is a medium amber color.
- Be careful not to burn (once mixture begins to color, it will darken quickly)
- Remove from heat and immediately pour in wine.
- Be careful, as mixture will boil up and spatter.
- Return saucepan to medium-high heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until caramel is dissolved.
- Then continue to cook until volume of mixture is reduced by one-third (you should have about 2 cups)
- Divide mixture between 2 large skillets; bring to boil.
- Add half the strawberries to each.
- Cook over medium heat until syrup is thickened and strawberries are transparent, 15 to 20 minutes.