Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Yield: 6-8 servings.
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 egg yokes
- 2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 pint California strawberries, sliced
- 1 (9-inch) baked pie shell
- 1 large or 2 small bananas, peeled and sliced
- whipped cream, optional
- In medium saucepan, combine Sugar, cornstarch and salt.
- Blend together egg yokes and milk.
- Stir small amount of milk mixture into dry ingredients, making a smooth paste.
- Gradually blend in remaining milk mixture.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and boils.
- Boil, stirring constantly, 1 minute. Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla.
- Cool quickly by setting pan in bowl of ice or cold water and stirring for a few minutes.
- Set aside about 1/4 cup strawberry slices for garnish.
- Arrange remaining strawberry slices in pie shell.
- Pour half of the custard mixture over strawberries.
- Top with banana slices. Cover with remaining custard mixture.
- Cover and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled.
- Before serving, top pie with reserved strawberry slices.
- Garnish with a dollop of whipped cream, if desired.
- To bake pie shell: Line unbaked pie shell with 12-inch square of aluminum foil.
- Fill with rice or dried beans or Peas. Cover rim of shell with edges of foil.
- Bake in preheated 450F oven until lightly browned at edges, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Lift out foil and rice. Cool on wire rack.