- 6 cups tart Apples peeled, cored and sliced
- 3 cups California strawberries
- 1 cup apple juice (not concentrate)
- 2 tbsp. flour
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 3 egg whites
- 1/2 cup frozen apple juice concentrate-thawed
- 1 cup whole Wheat pastry flour
- 1/3 cup nonfat dry milk
- 1/3 cup rolled oats
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Whisk the Apple and lemon juices with the cinnamon and 2 tbsp. flour.
- Place Apples in an 11x9 baking dish.
- Pour the flour-juice mixture over the Apples and put in oven for 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whip egg whites till soft peaks form.
- Add the thawed frozen apple juice concentrate and whip till they stand in stiff peaks.
- Mix together the whole-Wheat pastry flour, dry milk and rolled oats and gently fold in to the stiff egg whites.
- The batter will fall somewhat but do not over mix.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees.
- When Apples are baked, stir in the strawberries.
- Drop the batter by large spoonfuls over the fruit and bake an additional 25 minutes, or until browned.
- Serve warm or at room temperature. Yield: 6 servings.