Makes 8 servings.
- 3 cups cooked rice
- ½ cup sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 3 cups milk, divided
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Strawberry Topping Edit
- 2 cups miniature marshmallows
- 2 tablespoons lemon or lime juice
- 1½ cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 2 cups whipped cream or whipped topping
- Combine rice, sugar, salt and 2½ cups milk in large saucepan.
- Cook over medium low heat, stirring occasionally, until thick and creamy (about 20 to 25 minutes).
- Blend remaining ½ cup milk and eggs; stir into rice mixture.
- Cook 2 minutes longer, stirring constantly.
- Stir in butter and vanilla.
- Pour into serving dishes.
- Serve warm or cold with strawberry topping.
- strawberry topping: combine marshmallows and lemon juice in small saucepan.
- Heat slowly, stirring frequently, until marshmallows are melted.
- Chill just until mixture begins to thicken.
- Fold strawberries (reserving a few slices for garnish, if desired) and marshmallow mixture into whipped cream.