- 1 sheet (half of 17-ounce package) frozen puff pastry
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup light whipped topping
- 2 cups stemmed and sliced California strawberries
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- powdered sugar, for garnish
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. Thaw folded pastry sheet 20 minutes.
- Open sheet and cut along folds to make three equal strips; halve each strip to make six rectangles.
- Space apart on baking sheet. Bake in center of oven about 15 minutes until well browned and baked through.
- Remove to rack to cool. Meanwhile, in bowl, whisk pudding mix, milk and extract 2 minutes; fold in whipped topping to blend thoroughly.
- Cover and refrigerate. Carefully split each piece of pastry in half horizontally.
- Cover bottom halves with almonds, then pudding mixture and sliced strawberries, dividing equally.
- Cover with pastry tops. Dust with powdered sugar.
- Serve with strawberry Sauce (recipe follows), if desired.
- Makes 6 servings.
- To make strawberry Sauce:
- Stem and halve 1 pint basket California strawberries and puree in blender container with 2 tablespoons granulated sugar and 1 teaspoon lemon juice until smooth.
- To serve, divide sauce among 6 plates; top each with Napoleon.
- Note: All components of this dessert can be prepared several hours in advance.
- Cover and refrigerate pudding mixture, strawberries and sauce. Assemble just before serving.