- Place pickled , carrots and scallions in separate piles on plate, and set aside.
- Halve snow peas on bias, and cut tempeh into ¼-inch-wide strips.
- Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large wok or skillet over medium heat.
- Mix flour and 2 tablespoons cornstarch in small bowl.
- Beat egg and club soda in second bowl.
- Add to flour mixture.
- Stir with chopsticks to just barely mix, leaving streaks of flour.
- Stir in sesame seeds.
- Place pickled juice, water, sesame oil, chili oil and remaining 2 teaspoons cornstarch in a third bowl.
- Mix well, and set aside.
- Dip tempeh strips in batter when oil reaches 375°F on a candy/fat thermometer, or when a dry bamboo chopstick held into oil causes rapid bubbling.
- Deep-fry strips until golden, for 2 to 3 minutes, remove from oil and drain on paper towels.
- Discard all but 2 tablespoons oil from wok, and stir-fry carrots over high heat for 1 minute.
- Add remaining vegetables, and stir-fry for 2 minutes.
- Stir pickle juice mixture again, and add to vegetables.
- When sauce becomes clear, in about 30 seconds, add tempeh, and toss.
- Remove from heat, and serve while still hot.