- I use a heavy black iron pot with a heavy lid.
- Put into pot ½ cup of lard and just brown all sides of chicken legs, wings, breasts, backs, etc.
- If you have liver and gizzards use them also.
- Remove chicken from pot and set aside.
- Into the juices and lard in the pot, saute 1 chopped onion along with the 2 cups of rinsed raw rice.
- Just saute rice and onion until onion is transparent.
- Stir in 1 heaping tbsp of Hungarian paprika and 1½ tsp of salt.
- Into pot, add 1 chopped green pepper, and one can of whole tomatoes that were not drained but pulled apart.
- Throw in 1 bay leaf and mix up the rice and veggie mix.
- Now layer the browned chicken into the rice and veggie mix.
- I just scoop up some rice mix and lay chicken underneath, rice layer, chicken layer.
- Give the pot a shake to settle everything.
- Now start the pot to simmer on a moderate heat on top of the stove, when it all starts to cook, lower the heat and put the cover on and do not lift up the cover for at least 60 minutes.
- You must slowly cook and give it a shake once in a while, but do not uncover.
- Use the lowest heat possible, you can hear if it is cooking.
- Adjust salt seasoning, this dish should not be sloppy like a stew, it should be moist.
Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.