Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Found this in a Lady's Home Journal a couple of years ago. Very quick and very good!
- 2½ lbs veal
- 2 – 3 anchovies, chopped
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 20 fluid ounces chicken stock or chicken broth
- salt and pepper
- 1 ounce butter
- 1½ ounces plain flour
- 5 ounces heavy cream
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 lemon, zest only
- lemon slices (to garnish)s
- Trim the veal of fat and sinews and cut it into neat cubes.
- Put them into a saucepan with the anchovies and thyme and cover with stock.
- Season lightly and simmer, covered for 1 hour or so until tender.
- The veal must cook gently or it will shrink and toughen.
- When completely tender, strain the stock into a jug and keep the veal on one side, removing the talks of thyme.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan and stir in the flour.
- When it starts to froth gradually add the veal cooking liquid, stirring it in between each addition.
- Let it simmer for 10 minutes then stir in the cream.
- Season the sauce with nutmeg and lemon zest and if necessary with salt and pepper.
- Put the meat back in the sauce and simmer gently until heated through.
- Serve garnished with slices of lemon.