Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Contributed by World Recipes Y-Group
This Y-group is international. Good food from all parts of the world. A place where we can share the wonderful food from all over the world.
- ¼ to ½ sweet type onion, peeled, chopped
- 1 or 2 Tablespoons scraped and chopped celery (optional)
- 1 or 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 - 14½ oz can diced tomatoes
- ⅓ cup tomato juice or water
- ¼ cup sugar, or dark brown sugar, or Splenda (to taste)
- 2 Tablespoons corn starch
- ½ teaspoon dried basil, crushed (optional)
- ½ teaspoon salt (to taste, if needed)
- Prepare onion and celery (see note below).
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan.
- Sauté onion and celery over medium heat until onion is somewhat translucent. Do NOT brown.
- Place tomatoes in a small boiler.
- Add onion and celery mixture. Add sugar or Splenda.
- Bring tomatoes to a boil and cook over medium-low heat 5 to 7 minutes.
- Place cornstarch in a cup. Stir water or tomato juice in cup, dissolving any lumps.
- When tomatoes have cooked, add cornstarch mixture to them and quickly stir it in well, cooking until you have a glossy sauce and it has thickened.
- Add basil, stirring in well. Adjust seasoning and add salt if needed.