Contributed by World Recipes Y-Group
This Y-group is international. Good food from all parts of the world. A place where we can share the wonderful food from all over the world.
- ¼ to ½ sweet type onion, peeled, chopped
- 1 or 2 Tablespoons scraped and chopped celery (optional)
- 1 or 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 - 14½ oz can diced tomatoes
- ⅓ cup tomato juice or water
- ¼ cup sugar, or dark brown sugar, or Splenda (to taste)
- 2 Tablespoons corn starch
- ½ teaspoon dried basil, crushed (optional)
- ½ teaspoon salt (to taste, if needed)
- Prepare onion and celery (see note below).
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan.
- Sauté onion and celery over medium heat until onion is somewhat translucent. Do NOT brown.
- Place tomatoes in a small boiler.
- Add onion and celery mixture. Add sugar or Splenda.
- Bring tomatoes to a boil and cook over medium-low heat 5 to 7 minutes.
- Place cornstarch in a cup. Stir water or tomato juice in cup, dissolving any lumps.
- When tomatoes have cooked, add cornstarch mixture to them and quickly stir it in well, cooking until you have a glossy sauce and it has thickened.
- Add basil, stirring in well. Adjust seasoning and add salt if needed.