- In a 1 cup (250 ml) measuring cup, blend the water, yeast and sugar and let stand in a warm place until it foams up to the 1 cup mark, about 20 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the flours, sugar, and salt until well mixed.
- Add the melted margarine, yeast mixture, soy milk and water and knead until it becomes a soft, pliable dough.
- Place this in an oiled bowl and cover with a damp cloth.
- Let rise for 3 hours in a warm spot that is free of drafts.
- Heat a large skillet or wok, and add the oil.
- Toss in the chopped seitan and cook for a minute or two.
- Add all the remaining ingredients except the last measurement of water and starch.
- Bring the seitan and sauce to a boil.
- In a small dish blend the last amount of water with the starch until it has no lumps.
- Add this to the seitan and sauce mixture and cook for one or two minutes until it has thickened.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool.
Assemble the buns Edit
- After the dough has risen, remove it from the bowl and knead it three or four times.
- Break it up into 8 equally sized pieces.
- Working quickly, flatten each piece of dough out until it is about a handspan in diameter.
- Scoop a generous, heaping tbsp of the prepared filling into the center, then bring the edges of the dough circle up over it, and pinch it all tightly closed.
- Place the bun on one square of parchment and arrange on a cookie sheet or other large platter.
- Repeat these steps until all 8 buns are filled.
- Cover the buns with a damp cloth and let rise in a warm spot for about 20 minutes, then steam in a vegetable steamer or bamboo steamer for 25 minutes.
- At this point the buns can be eaten, or cooled and stored in an airtight container in the fridge for freezer for later re-steaming (just until hot) and consumption.
Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.