- 4 large eggs
- 2 Tbs. vegetable broth
- 1 Tbs. soy sauce
- 1 tsp. vegetable oil
- cilantro sprigs and chopped scallions for garnish
- In small saucepan, bring 3/4 cup water to a boil.
- Remove from heat and let cool until tepid, about 7 minutes.
- Crack eggs into medium bowl and whisk well.
- Stir in tepid water and broth.
- Pour mixture into 9-inch shallow heat-proof bowl.
- Bring small amount of water to a boil over high heat in steamer large enough to fit bowl without touching sides of steamer.
- Carefully place bowl in steamer, cover, reduce heat to medium and steam just until custard is set and barely trembles when bowl is touched, 10 to 13 minutes.
- Check water level occasionally and replenish as needed with boiling water.
- Carefully remove bowl from steamer. Pour soy sauce over custard.
- In small skillet, heat oil over high heat until hot but not smoking.
- Carefully drizzle hot oil over custard (you will hear it crackle).
- Garnish with cilantro and scallions and serve at once.