Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- 1 or more dried chipotle chilies
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup minced bacon
- 1 medium onion, peeled and diced
- 2 cups cored and chopped tomatoes, preferably fresh and ripe
- 1½ to 2 pounds strip sirloin, skirt or rib-eye steak
- salt and pepper to taste
- Start a charcoal or gas grill; fire should be quite hot, and rack about 4 inches from the heat source.
- If using oven, turn it to its maximum temperature.
- Put chipotle in a bowl, and add boiling water to cover.
- Put olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat; a minute later, add bacon, and cook, stirring occasionally, until crisp, about 10 minutes.
- Add onion, and cook, stirring occasionally, until it is softened, about 5 minutes.
- Lower heat, stem and seed chipotle and add it (or a piece of it, to taste), along with tomatoes; adjust heat so mixture simmers steadily but not violently (reserve chipotle soaking liquid).
- Season steaks with salt and pepper.
- Grill about 4 minutes on a side, or until they reach desired degree of doneness.
- If cooking steaks inside, heat a cast iron or other heavy skillet over high heat 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add steak, and, a minute later, transfer pan to oven; turn after about 4 minutes, and continue to cook to the desired degree of doneness.
- When tomatoes break up, taste sauce; add salt and pepper as needed and, if it is not hot enough, a bit of the chipotle-soaking liquid or reserved chipotle.
- When steaks are done, serve them with sauce.