- 1 pound kidney (500 grams)
- 1 pound (500 grams) topside steak
- 1 onion
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 - 3 tablespoons flour mixed with 1 tablespoon cold water
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce (optional)
Flaky Pastry Edit
- 8 ounces (250 grams) all-purpose flour
- 5 ounces (150 gram)s butter or shortening
- ½ cup (125 ml) cold water
- salt to taste
- ¼ teaspoon lemon juice
- Dice kidney, steak and onion.
- Almost cover with water and cook until tender.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Thicken with gravy mix or flour and water.
- If a very brown gravy is required a little soy sauce can be added.
- If using soy sauce, be careful with amount of salt.
- Add a good tablespoon of chopped parsley and mix.
- Pour into lined pie dish.
- To allow steam to escape, either place a pie chimney in the centre and cover with pastry dough, or cut a design into pastry after covering.
- Preheat oven to 390°F (195°C).
- Sift together flour and salt.
- Rub one quarter of the shortening into flour using tips of fingers.
- Add water and lemon juice and mix into a firm dough.
- Knead well and roll out into an oblong.
- Spread two thirds of the pastry with a further quarter of the shortening, sprinkle with some flour, and fold into three the unbuttered side first.
- Press open ends of pastry together, half turn the pastry and roll out again.
- Spread with shortening as before.
- Repeat rolling and spreading until the shortening is all used.
- Fold and roll once more without fat to the size and shape required for the pie dish.
- Glaze top with a little milk.
- Bake in a preheated 390°F (195°C) oven until the pastry is brown, about 45 minutes.