Makes 8 to 10 servings.
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 1/2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 cup heavy cream, divided
- 1/2 cup vanilla cookie crumbs
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh strawberries for garnish
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries for garnish
- Combine rice, Sugar, butter, salt, milk, vanilla and almond extract in large saucepan.
- Bring to a boil. Stir once; cover and simmer 50 minutes, or until rice is tender, stirring occasionally. Cool.
- Beat together egg yolks and 1/4 cup cream; stir into rice mixture.
- Sprinkle crumbs over bottom of greased 9-inch springform pan; spread rice mixture on top.
- Refrigerate until chilled, about 1 hour.
- Remove flan ring. Transfer rice layer onto serving plate.
- Whip remaining 3/4 cup cream and spread over rice.
- Keep refrigerated until serving time.
- Just before serving, arrange strawberries and blueberries in an attractive pattern over cream.