- 1 lb dried black beans, picked through and washed
- 1 small Onion, cut in half
- 2 ribs celery, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 2 carrots, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1/2 green bell pepper, cored and seeded
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 bouquet garni of 1 bay leaf, 3 sprigs fresh thyme, 3 springs of fresh parsley, tied in a piece of cheesecloth
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Soak the beans in a large heavy pot covered by at least three inches of water for at least four hours.
- Add the rest of the ingredients. Bring to a boil over high heat. Skim off any foam.
- Reduce the heat ang gently simmer the beans, uncovered, until tender, 1-1.25 hours. Add water to keep beans submerged.