Stacked Vegetable Salad from the Public Domain Cookbook by the Seattle & King County Department of Public Health—original source of recipe, public domain government resource
- Serves: 4
- 1 medium-sized eggplant
- 2 medium-sized portobello mushrooms (about 4-5" in diameter)
- non-fat cooking spray
- ½ cup arugula or mixed salad greens
- 1 large tomato, sliced
- ¼ cup goat cheese or cheese of your choice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- fresh oregano (optional)
- Preheat broiler.
- Slice eggplant lengthwise, about ¼-inch thick then cut each slice crosswise in half.
- Remove stems from portobello mushrooms then wipe the smooth surface of the mushroom with a paper towel to remove any excess soil.
- Spray a cookie sheet with nonfat cooking spray.
- Place eggplant pieces and mushrooms (gill-side up) on the sheet then lightly spray vegetables with cooking spray.
- Broil about 5 inches or 2nd to the top shelf level of the oven from the broiler for about 7–10 minutes or until eggplant starts turning golden brown.
- Remove roasted vegetables from oven.
- Place the portobellos, gill-side up on salad plates.
- Add a layer of arugula or greens then a slice of tomato.
- Spread 1 tablespoon of the goat cheese on the tomato then add an eggplant slice.
- Repeat starting with the arugula or greens 3 more times.
- Drizzle each stack each with ½ tablespoon olive oil and ½ tablespoon balsamic vinegar then sprinkle with desired amount of fresh oregano.