- Ethnicity - Marathi, West Indian
- Type of meal - Party, Lunch, Dinner
- 2 cups red chana, soaked for one night, drained and wrapped in a piece of muslin cloth till well sprouted
- 2 cups cashewnuts, soaked in water for 2 hours
- 8 curry leaves
- 4 green chillies, chopped
- ½ cup coriander leaves, chopped
- 1 cup grated coconut
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- ¼ tsp asafoetida
- 3 tbsp oil
- salt and sugar to taste
- Clean and pressure cook sprouted chana till soft but whole.
- Boil cashewnuts till soft.
- Drain both and reserve.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add cumin and mustard seeds.
- When they pop, add green chillies, curry leaves, asafoetida and turmeric powder.
- Stir fry.
- Add chana, cashewnuts and a little water.
- Add salt and a pinch of sugar to give a sweet touch.
- Mix well and cook.
- Garnish with grated coconut and chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve hot.