Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- Source: Marlboro Country Cookbook
- Makes 12 servings
- 2 cans (12 oz. each) beer
- ½ cup vegetable or olive oil
- 4 serrano peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp dried pepper flakes
- 2 limes, thinly sliced
- 4 tbsp soy sauce
- 4 tsp margarita salt
- 4 game hens or squab
- 2 pheasants or small chickens
- 8 quail
- Combine beer, oil, peppers, garlic, pepper flakes, lime, soy sauce and salt.
- Put cleaned, washed and dried birds in 1 or 2 large heavy plastic food bags.
- Pour in marinade and seal bags.
- Turn and shake until birds are coated with marinade.
- Refrigerate several yours or overnight, turning bag occasionally.
- Remove birds from marinade and position them on a turning spit.
- Tie legs and wings close to body to keep from overcooking.
- Roast in a covered grill over medium hot coals or in a 350°F oven.
- Small birds will take about 30 minutes; larger birds 1 to 1½ hours.
- Baste every 5 minutes.
- Test doneness by pricking with a fork between thigh and body to see if juices run clear.