- In saucepan, combine dates, apricots, juice and rum.
- Bring to boil; reduce heat and simmer, covered, 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat; cool completely.
- In mixer bowl, beat Sugar, egg yolks and vanilla to blend well (mixture will be dry).
- Sift together flour, baking powder and salt; stir into sugar-egg mixture.
- Beat in soaked fruits and their liquid and the nuts to distribute evenly.
- In small bowl, beat egg whites to soft peaks; fold into batter.
- Pour into greased and floured 6 to 7-cup tube pan or 9 X 5-inch loaf pan.
- Bake in 300 °F. Oven 60 to 70 minutes, until wooden pick inserted into center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan 10 minutes. Loosen edges; remove from pan.
- While warm, wrap snugly in foil; let stand 24 hours before slicing.
- Cake will keep up to 1 week.
- For longer storage, wrap cake in brandy or rum-soaked cheesecloth, then in plastic wrap.
- Let age up to 1 month, adding brandy as needed.
See also Edit