This is a recipe I obtained from my catering friend a few years ago. He serves these quite often and always gets rave reviews.
- 3 eggs separated
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 3 strips bacon
- ¼ cup chopped white onion
- 1 cup cooked fresh spinach
- 2 medium tomatoes peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup shredded Monterey jack cheese divided
- ½ teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form then set aside.
- In bowl combine flour, egg yolks, milk, oil, sugar and salt then beat with rotary beater until blended.
- Fold in egg whites.
- Heat a lightly greased 6-inch skillet.
- Remove from heat.
- Spoon in 2 tablespoons batter then lift and tilt skillet to spread batter.
- Return to heat then brown on one side only.
- Invert over paper toweling and remove crepe.
- Repeat with remaining batter greasing skillet often.
- Cook bacon in a large skillet then remove from pan reserving drippings and drain.
- Crumble when cool.
- Sauté onion in 2 tablespoons bacon grease until soft.
- Add spinach, tomatoes and crumbled bacon then stir in sour cream and ¾ cup of the cheese, Tabasco sauce, salt and pepper.
- Mix thoroughly then cook until cheese is melted.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place 2 tablespoons of the spinach filling on each crêpe then roll up and place seam side down in a buttered baking dish.
- Put a little additional filling on top and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake until bubbly.