Spinach Salad with Warm Beet Dressing from the Public Health Cookbook by the Seattle & King County Department of Public Health—original source of recipe, public domain government resource
- Serves: 4
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 slices whole wheat bread, cut into cubes
- 8 oz (or 2 small) fresh beets
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 1 tablespoon honey mustard
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 12 oz spinach, thoroughly washed, stems removed
- 4 oz button mushrooms, wiped clean, stems trimmed and sliced
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Fill a medium sized bowl with water and ice then add onions. Let stand for 30 minutes, drain and set aside.
- Place bread cubes on a baking sheet and toast in oven for 10–15 minutes or until golden, tossing occasionally then set the croutons aside.
- Place beets in a small saucepan filled with water. Bring to a boil and cook for 30 minutes or until tender.
- Drain and let cool until easy to handle. Peel the beets and then cut into ½ inch cubes then set aside.
- In a small saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over medium heat. Add the honey mustard, sugar, vinegar, salt and pepper and stir constantly until sugar is dissolved (about 1 minute) add remaining oil then reduce heat to low. Add beet cubes and toss to coat.
- Arrange spinach leaves, onions and mushrooms on plates. Drizzle with the beet dressing and garnish with croutons.