Contributed by Healthy Recipes for Diabetic Friends Y-Group
- Original recipe
- Makes 4 servings
- vegetable cooking spray
- 1¼ pounds (600 g) sea scallops
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) olive oil
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) water
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) Dijon mustard
- 8 cups (24 g) baby spinach, washed, stems removed, and drained on paper towels or spun dry
- 1 large tart apple, such as Fuji or Granny Smith, cored and chopped
- 2 tablespoons (16 g) slivered almonds, toasted
- freshly ground pepper
- Preheat broiler.
- Lightly a broiler pan with cooking spray.
- Rinse scallops to remove any bits of shell or sand; pat dry with paper towels.
- Arrange the scallops on the broiler pan and lightly coat with cooking spray and broil, turning once, until opaque throughout (cut to test), about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Keep warm.
- In a small cup combine the oil, water, lemon juice and mustard.
- Set aside.
- Place the spinach in a bowl.
- Add the apples and almonds.
- Toss with the dressing.
- Season with pepper.
- Divide between 4 plates and top with scallops.
- Serve immediately.
Nutritional information Edit
- 258 calories (36% calories from fat) | 27g protein | 10g total fat (1.2g saturated fat) | 15g carbohydrates | 4g dietary fiber | 47mg cholesterol | 306mg sodium
- Diabetic exchanges: 4 very lean protein | 1 carbohydrate (½ fruit, 1 vegetable) | 1 fat