Makes 6 servings.
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup (about 4 ounces) sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- vegetable cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 6 cups shredded fresh spinach leaves (about ¼ pound)
- 4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- freshly ground black pepper
- chopped pimento for garnish (optional)
- Combine rice, broth and water in medium saucepan. Bring to a boil; stir once or twice.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer 15 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.
- Cook onion, mushrooms and garlic in large skillet coated with cooking spray until onion is tender.
- Stir in lemon juice and oregano.
- Add spinach, cheese and pepper to rice; toss lightly until spinach is wilted.
- Garnish with pimento.