- Combine ground beef, eggs, rice, flour, salt, pepper, garlic powder and cumin in large bowl, mixing well.
- Shape mixture into meatballs about 1½ inches in diameter.
- Bring water to a boil in a large stockpot over high heat.
- Add meatballs and rice and boil for 30 minutes, skimming off any scum that rises to the top.
- Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium heat.
- Add onions, tomatoes and about one-sixth of the chiles and sauté until the onion is softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the onion mixture to the meatballs and broth, along with the remaining chiles; reduce the heat to low and simmer 10 minutes.
- Just before serving, stir in the cilantro.