Makes 6 servings
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- ¼ cup chopped green onions
- 2 fresh red chiles, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 to 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- chopped roasted peanuts for garnish (optional)
- red pepper flakes for garnish (optional)
- Combine water, rice, onions, chiles, cilantro, margarine, gingerroot, salt and turmeric in 2- to 3-quart saucepan. Bring to a boil; stir once or twice.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer 15 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.
- Stir in lime juice; fluff with fork.
- Garnish with peanuts and pepper flakes.