Makes approximately 20 rice balls.
- ½ pound lean ground beef
- ⅓ cup finely chopped celery
- ⅓ cup finely chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ⅓ cup chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 3 cups hot cooked rice
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 1 egg, beaten
- ½ cup dry breadcrumbs
- vegetable oil for deep-fat frying
- Cook beef, celery, onion and garlic in large skillet until meat is brown, stirring to crumble. Add chili powder, salt, pepper, chili sauce and ¼ cup water. Simmer, uncovered, 30 minutes, or until sauce is very thick. Stir in parsley; set aside.
- Combine rice, cheese and butter. While still warm, use 2 tablespoons rice mixture to shape into balls. Press centers with thumb; fill each with 1 tablespoon meat mixture. Enclose rice mixture to seal.
- Dip in egg; roll in crumbs. Fry in hot oil (365 °F) in large saucepan 1 minute, or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Serve warm.