This recipe came from an estate sale. I obtained it when I purchased the family collection from the Wadley Estate in Allen, Texas in 1990.
- Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- 1 pound red, white and black beans (any combination you like)
- 1 white onion chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 whole jalapeno peppers
- 2 whole banana peppers
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons parsley
- 1 tablespoon basil
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon curry powder
- 1 tablespoon gumbo filé
- 1 can dark beer
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- ½ teaspoon Tabasco
- Dump everything except the onion into a crock pot or large pot and let sit for 6-24 hours.
- Add the chopped onion and put heat on high.
- Check every hour and add extra beer to make sure beans stay covered.
- Cook for 8 hours.