- 2 (8-oz.) pkgs. dried udon noodles
- 3 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 6 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 6 scallions, thinly sliced, white and dark green parts kept separate
- 4 tsp. minced fresh ginger, or more to taste
- 1/2 tsp. Chinese five-spice powder
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes, or more to taste
- 3 Tbs. kudzu, crushed into fine powder
- 6 Tbs. Peanut butter
- 3 Tbs. shoyu, tamari or soy sauce
- 1 tsp. pure maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp. umeboshi plum vinegar or cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Bring large pot of lightly salted
water to a boil. Add noodles; stir to prevent sticking. Cook until tender according to package directions. Drain well and set aside.
In small cup, mix kudzu with 1/4 cup cold water. Add kudzu mixture to broth mixture and continue to simmer until sauce has thickened, stirring occasionally, about 3 minutes.