Spicy Eggplant Dip from the Public Health Cookbook by the Seattle & King County Department of Public Health—original source of recipe, government resource in the public domain
- Serves: 8
- 2 medium eggplants, halved lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1/4 cup minced red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped parsley
- Salt and pepper
- Heat oven to 400 deg. F. Line a heavy baking sheet with foil.
- Brush the cut sides of the eggplant with 1 tablespoon of the oil and arrange cut side down on the baking sheet. Bake until cut sides are browned and eggplant is soft (about 25 minutes).
- Combine remaining oil and garlic in a skillet and heat over low heat until garlic sizzles. Stir in cumin and remove from heat.
- Scoop out softened eggplant, chop finely and then add to skillet. Add ginger, bell pepper, and parsley. Stir mixture over low heat until blended. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.