Here is an incredibly good soup. I have used Frito chips as a garnish and it was great! You can also cut a flour tortilla into thin strips and deep-fry in oil for tortilla strips.
- Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- 1 small onion - minced
- 2 cloves garlic - minced
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil or olive oil
- 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup medium chunky salsa
- ½ of a 4.5 oz can chopped jalapeno peppers (for spicier soup, use whole
- 5 - 6 dashes of Tabasco
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp granulated sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ cup all-purpose flour mixed with ½ cup water
- 1½ lb boneless, skinless chicken, cooked and cubed
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- ½ cup sour cream - low-fat okay
- 8 oz Velveeta cheese, cubed (low-fat okay)
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro - for garnish, optional
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, sauté onions and garlic in oil until soft.
- Add the next 8 ingredients to the pot, bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Whisk flour/water mixture into soup.
- Bring contents of pot to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add chicken to pot and continue to simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add cream, sour cream, and cheese to pot; stir until cheese has melted.
- Pour soup into bowls, garnish with cilantro (if desired).
Hints and tips Edit
I baked the chicken in the oven at 375 °F for 1 hour. Before baking, I brushed both sides of chicken with olive oil and seasoned with Pampered Chef Southwestern Seasoning and cumin. After removing from the oven, I let them cool then cut into cubes.
For the Toys for Tots soup lunch, I doubled the recipe.