Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Here is an incredibly good soup. I have used Frito chips as a garnish and it was great! You can also cut a flour tortilla into thin strips and deep-fry in oil for tortilla strips.
- Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- 1 small onion - minced
- 2 cloves garlic - minced
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil or olive oil
- 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup medium chunky salsa
- ½ of a 4.5 oz can chopped jalapeno peppers (for spicier soup, use whole
- 5 - 6 dashes of Tabasco
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp granulated sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ cup all-purpose flour mixed with ½ cup water
- 1½ lb boneless, skinless chicken, cooked and cubed
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- ½ cup sour cream - low-fat okay
- 8 oz Velveeta cheese, cubed (low-fat okay)
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro - for garnish, optional
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, sauté onions and garlic in oil until soft.
- Add the next 8 ingredients to the pot, bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Whisk flour/water mixture into soup.
- Bring contents of pot to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add chicken to pot and continue to simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add cream, sour cream, and cheese to pot; stir until cheese has melted.
- Pour soup into bowls, garnish with cilantro (if desired).
Hints and tips Edit
I baked the chicken in the oven at 375 °F for 1 hour. Before baking, I brushed both sides of chicken with olive oil and seasoned with Pampered Chef Southwestern Seasoning and cumin. After removing from the oven, I let them cool then cut into cubes.
For the Toys for Tots soup lunch, I doubled the recipe.