I see no reason for white sugar in this dish... just leave it out... or use Splenda if you wish. It is also a good fiber dish... too bad the recipe did not include this and other nutritional info. Take Care, Gloria
- Contributed by Healthy Recipes for Diabetic Friends Y-Group
- Submitted by Chelsea to Ediets.Com
- Prep Time: 15 Minutes | Cook Time: 70 Minutes | Total Time: 85 Minutes
- Serves 10 Servings
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1½ cups chopped onion
- 1¼ cups sliced carrots
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 tsp white sugar
- 1 (16 oz) pkg frozen shoepeg corn
- 1 (15 oz) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14.5 oz) can Italian-style stewed tomatoes
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 (4 oz) can diced green chiles
- Heat the oil in a large dutch oven over medium-high heat until hot.
- Add onion, carrot, and garlic; saute 5 minutes.
- Stir in broth, sugar, corn, beans, tomatoes, and chilies;bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 2 hours.
Crockpot version Edit
- This soup can also be prepared in a crock pot.
- Combine everything in the pot, and cook on high for the first hour.
- Turn the temperature down to low, and cook 7 more hours.
Nutritional information Edit
- 176.38 Calories | 2.53g Total Fat | 29.97 Total Carbs | 8.44g Protein